It’s Valentine’s Day and if you’re an organised, thoughtful romantic you’ve probably been preparing all month to show your significant other how much you love them. If you’re more like me however (a last-minute romantic) you may have promised to make dinner, but once it hits 3pm, you’ll still have no idea what you’re making and you’re still trying to pass it off as a surprise!
So, here at Pura we’ve decided to save Valentine’s Day. Not only have we put together a quick, easy to follow recipe, but we’ve also put together one which won’t mess with your Pura meal plan and gym routine too much. We present to you, ‘Bolognese a la Pura’.
Now I know what you’re thinking – Spaghetti Bolognese? That’s not very romantic. 4 words for you Lady and the tramp.
Thank us later!
What you’ll need
- 50ml Olive Oil
- 500g Onions – Chopped
- 500g Carrots – Diced
- 300g Celery Sticks – Finely Chopped
- 50g Garlic Cloves – Finely Chopped
- 30g Sprigs Rosemary
- 5kg Beef Mince
- 3kg Tins of Plum Tomatoes
- 3kg Fresh Tomatoes Chopped
- 100g Basil
- 6 Fresh Bay Leaves
- 500g Tomato Purée
- Beef Stock
- 50g Red Chilli, Seeded and Finely Chopped (optional)
- 2 Star Anise
What to do
- Heat the olive oil
- Add the chopped onion, celery garlic, star anise, the diced carrots and rosemary
- Fry contents till brown
- Next, add the mince and cook
- Keep stirring until the beef mince is browned all over
- Next, add in the tomato purée and mix in well
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes, chopped basil, back leaves, beef stock, chilli (if you’re having it), as well as the fresh tomatoes
- Bring the Bolognese to a boil
- Reduce the temperature to bring the meal to a gentle simmer
- Cover with a lid and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until you’re left with a rich thick sauce
So there you have it! We’ve helped you with the cooking, but the rest is up to you! Try lighting a candle or two, sprinkling some rose petals and playing Marvin Gaye on repeat – and you should have a recipe for success!